Rev. Dr. Charley Hames, Jr. is the senior pastor of the Beebe Memorial Cathedral (BMC) in Oakland, CA. He is the author of Pressing Reset: When Life Forces You to Start Over Again and Exchange: Trading Your Brokenness for Exceptional Purpose.
As senior pastor of BMC since 2003, Dr. Hames leads one of the fastest growing congregations in the CME church. Under his leadership, BMC has grown from eighty-one members to more than three thousand members, making it one of the premier houses of worship in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Born and raised in hard knock neighborhoods on Chicago’s South side, Dr. Hames is the second child of Charley Hames Sr. and Leona Elizabeth Steadman-Hames (both deceased).
Over the years, this dedicated servant of God has been honored with opportunities and awards some might have thought unlikely for someone of such humble beginnings. He’s prayed over our country’s congressional leaders on Capitol Hill and been named “Pastor of the Year” by the CME 9th Episcopal District. A true champion of his community, Dr. Hames also serves as chaplain of 100 Black Men of the Bay Area, Inc., former President of the National Action Network’s Oakland chapter, immediate past Chairman of the board of the Oakland African-American Chamber of Commerce, a proud Life Member of Alpha Phi Alpha, Fraternity, Inc. since 1993 and an active member of Sigma Pi Phi Boulé. No stranger to the broadcast airwaves, Dr. Hames has been heard across the Bay Area as KBLX’s (102.9 FM) “Voice of Inspiration” for the past fifteen years.
Known as a fervent fighter for the young men of this country, Dr. Hames was among a select group of pastors and community leaders who were invited to the White House, in 2012, to discuss the killing of Trayvon Martin with President Obama. Following that meeting, CNN tapped Dr. Hames to discuss the President’s response to the tragedy.
Dr. Hames received his Bachelor of Arts degree in African-American studies from Chicago State University. In 2000 he earned a Master of Divinity degree from Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, Illinois. And, in 2004, he was blessed to receive his Doctor of Ministry degree in evangelism from the Perkins School of Theology, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas.
Dr. Hames is married to Lady Michelle J. Gaskill-Hames. Lady Michelle serves as Senior Vice President for Hospital and Health Plan Operations with Kaiser Permanente. He is also the proud father of two sons and one daughter: Charles Jonathon, Elijah Immanuel, and Jael Deon.
Throughout his life, Dr. Hames has seen the fulfillment of Ephesians 3:20, “Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us.” He has served God with vision and action as a gifted preacher with twenty-eight years in the gospel and twenty-three years in pastoral excellence. He stands as a testament of what God can do in the life of a true believer.
- D. Min. Southern Methodist University – Perkins School of Theology. Doctor of Ministry degree. Concentration: Evangelism. 2004
- M. Div. Garrett – Evangelical Theological Seminary at Northwestern University. Master of Divinity degree. 2000
- B.A. Chicago State University. Bachelor of Arts degree. Major in African-American studies. Minor in psychology. 1997
- Advance Training Certificate. Harvard Divinity School. Summer Leadership Institute Graduate. Community and Economic Development. 2004
Christian Methodist Episcopal Church Pastoral Experience
- Senior Pastor, Beebe Memorial Cathedral CME, Oakland, CA.
- Senior Pastor, Curry Temple CME Church, Compton, CA.
- Senior Pastor, New Hope CME Church, Evanston, IL.
- Assistant Pastor, St. Paul CME Church, Chicago, IL.
Pressing Reset: When Life Forces You to Start Over Again, Spirit Driven Publishing
Exchange: Trading Your Brokenness for Exceptional Purpose, Spirit Driven Publishing
- Featured on CNN’s John King Show as one of the pastors who met with President Obama for the Trayvon Martin Case
- Numerous amounts of other features including but not limited to Huffington Post, Reuters, and local newspapers for community work.
- Regional Administrator for the Northern California Region CME Churches 2002 – Present
- Joint Board Chair of Finance for the Northern California Region CME Churches 2004 – Present
- Connectional Finance Signatory for the Department of Finance CME Church 2015- Present
- Vice Chair of Committee of Finance for General Conference 2010/2014
- Secretary of Committee of Finance for General Conference 2018
- Member, Commission on Connectional Budget 2012-2014/2016-2018
- General Conference Delegate of the CME Church 2006-Present
- Administrative Assistant to Three Presiding Elders
- Lecturer, Unity Summit (previously Annual Convocation)
- Guest Panelist, National Action Network National Conference
- Guest Presenter, Healthy Churches 2020 Conference
- Guest Lecturer and Preacher for Churches and Conferences through the US
- Member, Sigma Pi Phi Fraternity
- Life Member, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Chaplain, 100 Black Men of the Bay Area
- Past President, National Action Network Oakland Chapter
- Immediate Past Chairman, Board of Directors Oakland African-American Chamber
Writing, theological and philosophical academia, obstacle course races, and endurance competitions.
Dr. Hames has served as senior pastor for three congregations within the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church and now leads one of the fastest growing congregations in the CME church.